SEARCH THIS BLOG

Looking for a particular song? Search this blog here:

10 November 2013

The Shepherd's Carol (Bob Chilcott)









We stood on the hills, Lady,
Our day’s work done,
Watching the frosted meadows
That winter had won.

The evening was calm, Lady,
The air so still,
Silence more lovely than music
Folded the hill.

There was a star, Lady,
Shone in the night,
Larger than Venus it was
And bright, so bright.

Oh, a voice from the sky, Lady,
It seemed to us then
Telling of God being born
In the world of men.

And so we have come, Lady,
Our day’s work done,
Our love, our hopes, ourselves,
We give to your son.

Composer: Bob Chilcott (b. 1956)

4 comments:

  1. Carols from Kings on the BBC performed this again in 2013. It was the first time I had heard it. Such a wonderful performance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Rutter that this is the most beautiful modern carol. My son sang this in a select SATB choir last Christmas and it stunned me. Oh my!

    ReplyDelete
  3. An amazing piece. I listened to it on The King's Singers's channel and now having access to the lyrics, I cannot help but be deeply admirative to the writing and the arrangement.

    ReplyDelete